At one end of this tiny Victorian chapel, set on a lonely hill in southwestern Scotland and overlooking the Bay of Luce, is a glassed-in wall. Three of the earliest Christian stones ever found in Scotland sit inside it.
They were erected around 450 A.D. to mark the common grave of three priests who served in the area. For 1400 years they stood unmolested in the churchyard until 1850, when they were pulled up and taken away for another use.
It is thought that the three priests may have served with St. Ninian at his “Candida Casa”, or the white house on the hill across the bay. Ninian is a character in Eleri’s Tale.
“Here lie the holy and eminent priests, Viventius and Mavorius (first stone), and Florentius, (second stone), and on the third stone “INTIUM ET FINIS”, the Beginning and the End.
But that’s a story for another post – the “lost” stone of Kirkmadrine.